27 December, 2006

Writer's block

Writer's block is a funny thing, because it pops up in the most random situations. Most commonly though is when you have to write something, not because you want to. (Though that can happen too, and I've very frequently experienced both types.)

At this very moment I'm writing an article, as I often do, and I am completely stuck. It's not because I don't know the information, most of it I do, (it's an article on The Beatles, their new CD, and the Cirque du Soleil performance that is a tribute to their career,) so yes, I know the stuff quite well if I do say so myself. It's that I have pressure. The article needs to be done before tomorrow, 'cause I'm off to a friend's house, and not back until the 31st. (The articles are due on the 29th. O:) I do love having pressure when I have to write, (and usually write my best under pressure,) but I just don't want the pressure right now!

Surely I could have started wayyyy earlier, but that was before the holidays and I didn't want to. Now of course is after the Christmas part, and right before the New Year's part, so naturally I don't want to write now either. Ha! Life is a funny thing, all these responsibilities and what-not. It's pish-posh I tell you!

Let me just blather on to you a little bit about facts that I think are cool, I'm prolly even gunna use this. You should feel honored to be getting such a sneak peek ;]

George Harrison and Cirque du Soliel director (what'shisname) were buddies, (this would be before Harrison died in 2001,) and had started brain storming a collaborative project. Usually Cirque du Soleil re-records the stuff they use, with random artists from their team, but The Beatles were like, "No, you can use our stuff. In fact, we'll fix it right up!" (That's a re-phrase in case you were wondering ;]) So, George Martin, The Beatles legendary producer, and his son Giles Martin, Paul, Ringo, along with Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison, got together and got to work. What did they work with? Why every single song that the Beatles ever recorded of course! It all started by breaking each song down piece by piece. (In example, Ringo's drums, Paul's guitar, John and Paul's vocals, all broken up to be seperate pieces.) Then the task was to put the songs back together, with different pieces in there as well. An example of this would have to be two of my favourite songs, "Blackbirds," and "Yesterday" are morphed together and come out simply haunting. (Yes, it is possible for those songs to get even more amazing ;]) We're drawn into the song with the beginning of "Blackbirds" and then it fades out to the ending chord progression of the same song, and with a common note found, begins "Yesterday." The background birds from the song are also thrown in randomly throughout. The result is simply stunning.

Well, I suppose that helped me some ;]
Thank you for reading, (if you bothered reading the rantings of a crazy Beatles fan writing her "ream article" ;])

Peace,
Mallory

No comments: